Goldfish Lifespan, lets break those myths!
Goldfish are a fantastic starter pet that people of all ages are sure to enjoy. Their beauty has inspired and delighted many cultures for generations. But their popularity means that there are many common misconceptions about these fish. Fortunately, a little bit of knowledge goes a long way to make fish keeping smooth and fun for you and your pets. Here are five things to know before getting a goldfish that can affect living conditions of your pet fish and make things easier fo you.
Eight myths that will affect your goldfish lifespan if you follow them!
- Goldfish lifespan in bowls is very short. Another myth that fish can live in bowls is sadly widespread. However, there are different types of goldfish and none of them survive very long in bowls. Fish need filtered water, not to mention much more space than a bowl can provide. If you plan on keeping a goldfish, you’re going to want a real fish tank. If you have to purchase bowl buy as big as they get. But even in biggest bowl they will grow too big in short amount of time. Buy a proper goldfish tank. You will not regret it! And yes forget about that 3 second memory span, that myth was created excactly for you to buy bowl.
- Goldfish can grow as much as their tank is big. This is one of first things they will tell you in a pet fish shop, and one of biggest lies. Goldfish grow as they get older, tank or bowl size does not matter.
- First of all be sure you have a big enough tank. Goldfish are related to carp, and as such they get very large very quickly. An acceptable minimum size tank for a goldfish is twenty gallons. Remember, the idea that fish “grow to fit the tank” is an unfortunate myth. What actually happens is that small tank sizes lead to poor sanity conditions. This stunts the growth of the fish and generally leads to an early death. For happy, healthy, and beautiful fish, always opt on the side of a larger tank.
- Heater? What water to use for goldfish? goldfish don’t need a heater. While many freshwater tropical fish need a heater, goldfish do better at room temperature. As a result this makes them a fantastic choice for people who want a simple tank setup ( do not put your goldfish tank near oven though 🙂 )
- Goldfish need special food. If you visit your local pet shop, you will probably see both food for tropical fish and food for goldfish. This is because the nutritional requirements for goldfish are different than those for tropical fish. Get the correct food to keep your goldfish lifespan long an your goldfish looking and feeling great.
- Proper water for goldfish. Plan to keep up on your water changes as goldfish tend to be messy fish, and that can lead to water quality going downhill fast. To cycle your tank, change about 25% of the water in the tank every other day for about a month. Once the water is cycled, you can scale down to a 25% change about once a week. This keeps the water clean without disrupting the fish. Do not use tap water, use filtered water or prepare water with water conditioner!
- Goldfish dont go in ponds! This is so not true, goldfish adore ponds. Ponds are cold, almost all are bigger than your biggest aquarium. They are perfect living space for goldfish! These are some types of goldfish for ponds. If you want to keep these beautiful fishes in pond we have summed up a short list of goldfish species for it: Comet, Shubukin, Black Moor, Fantail, Rynkin, Oranda, read more about them.
- Goldfish are short-lived. So wrong, goldfish are among some long lived pet fishes you can keep at home. They can live up to 20 years, some even more.
So now you know what “not to do” when thinking about goldfish lifespan!
Goldfish are beautiful creatures and you’re sure to love adding one or more to your family (altough do not stuff a lot of them in small tank), they are hardy, beutiful fishes with long history. If you decide to acquire one or more of them, learn as much as you can about keeping goldfishes. How long do goldfish live? Armed with a little bit of knowledge, you can make sure your goldfish life will be long and satisfying. These fishes can live a long life given proper conditions. Avoid these myths and most surely you and your goldfish will have a long & happy life together. Happy fish keeping!
Check this great youtube video “The Goldfish tragedy (Goldfish lifespan)” by Maddness358